Langdon D. Neal, Chairman
Richard A. Cowen, Secretary/Commissioner
Marisel A. Hernandez, Commissioner
Lance Gough, Executive Director
Kelly Bateman, Asst. Executive Director
When, Where & How to Register to Vote
- Visit 69 W. Washington St., Sixth Floor. Bring two forms of ID, at least one of which shows your current address.
- Register through an active deputy registrar affiliated with a local organization, such as a political party, ward organization or other state-certified body.
After your registration form is processed, the Election Board will mail a new voter card.
About Online Voter Registration
A new state law will provide online (web-based) voter registration starting in July 2014. When the Illinois State Board of Elections launches that online-registration system, the Chicago Election Board will provide a link to that system on this web page.
Qualifications to Register to Vote
To register to vote, you must:
- be a U.S. citizen;
- be born on or before Nov. 4, 1996. (Under a new law, those who are 17 years of age and will turn 18 by Nov. 4, 2014, may register to vote, starting Jan. 1, 2014, and vote in the March 18, 2014 Primary Election, even before they turn 18); Learn more
- live in your precinct at least 30 days before the election;
- not be in prison/jail serving time for a conviction; and,
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
Checking Your Voter Registration Status
Cancelling a Voter Registration
By law and for the voter's protection, the Election Board must receive an original, signed letter from the voter to cancel a registration.
Send such correspondence to:
Chicago Election Board
69 W Washington St., Suite 600
Chicago IL 60602
To report the death of a voter, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the full name, birth year and other identifying information of the deceased. If you are a family member and can include a copy of a death certificate, please do so. If not, the Election Board will attempt to verify the information through the Illinois Vital Records System and cancel the registration.